People ask me all the time where I’ve been and where I’m going.
This is just a list of the places I’ve been and the places I want to go. Some are on my immediate list and some will require planning. I also have some non-location-specific travel goals that I’m listing here. I’ll add links to specific places as time permits. Feel free to contact me if you want to know more information about the places I’ve been. I’m willing to help out fellow travelers.
I’ve been to Las Vegas and San Francisco more times than I can count, so I’m not including them in past vacations unless there was a specific reason to (such as stops on a train trip). But they are fair game to ask about.
April 1994: Quebec City, Quebec. Yes, I was in high school on a band trip, but it was still fun. Would like to visit again now that I’m older.
June-July 2002: The Greek Islands. Athens – Santorini – Naxos – Lipsi – Kos – Nisyros – Rhodes – Crete (Heraklion, Plakias, and Chania). The Greek islands are very much worth your time to visit (and this trip took four weeks).
May 2005: Glyndwr’s Way. Birmingham, England and the small task of 132 miles of walking around mid-Wales. Focus cities: Knighton, Llanidloes, Machyllenth, Lake Vyrnwy and Welshpool.
November 2007: Sedona, Arizona. A lovely place for nature walks, stargazing and metaphysics, if the latter is your thing.
May 2009: Sint Maarten/Saint Martin and St. Barthelemy. Two fabulous weeks in two fabulous islands. Worth the money and the time to go there for a few days.
May 2010: Day trip to Zion National Park, Utah. I had a spare day in Las Vegas and chose to do a little hiking. It’s a long day of travel but worthwhile; make sure to head out early from Vegas (or stay closer) and bring food and plenty of water.
May-June 2011: The West Coast Amtrak Tour. Santa Barbara – San Francisco – Portland, Oregon – Seattle – Vancouver, British Columbia by train (except the flight home). A very good time on the Pacific Surfliner and Coast Starlight trains and one I’m looking forward to doing again some time.
September 2011: Star MEGA DO 3. Flew to Chicago – Montreal – Denver on a chartered 737 with a bunch of airline aficionados and staff. Very informative and a good time.
November 2011: Honolulu. My first time in Hawaii.
October 2012: Hilo, Hawaii. First time in a yurt and on the Big Island. I recommend Hilo as the drop-off point to Volcanoes National Park, sleepy as the town is.
April 2013: Kansas City and Montreal, Quebec. Montreal for my birthday with a 72-hour indoctrination into some of the best BBQ in the United States.
May 2013: South Dakota. Visited Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, Minuteman Missile National Monument, and Devil’s Tower National Monument. A fantastic (if exhausting from all of the driving) full three-day trip.
August and November 2013: Asheville, North Carolina. I was there for a coaching retreat, but I managed to a little time in the town. I also took the opportunity to drive a chunk of the Blue Ridge Parkway and visit the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
November 2013: Joshua Tree National Park. It’s close by and I really shouldn’t count it, but it’s the first time that I was there that wasn’t due to me climbing on rocks or learning how to golf in nearby Palm Desert.
April 2014: San Francisco to New York City… by train. A four-day adventure (85 hours on the train!) via Portland and Chicago – on the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder, and the Lake Shore Limited. Then I spent three days walking in the Big Apple.
General Travel Goals
Before I die, I’d like to accomplish:
- Visit all 50 States of the USA.
- Visit each of the inhabited Hawaiian islands. So far: Oahu and the Big Island.
- Sleep in a yurt. Update: Done October 2012!
- Visit 50 countries (not counting the USA). So far: Canada, Mexico, Greece, Netherlands Antilles, United Kingdom (Wales is not its own country).
- Complete a Round-the-world (RTW) trip.
- Attend Burning Man once. (Probably only once.)
- Attend an Esalen workshop or visit.
- Attain some sort of airline status. Update: Done October 2012 – I’m Blue on Aegean Airlines (Star Alliance Silver). But I may want to attempt something more challenging later.
- Try sleeping on tatami for a night. Japanese non-futon bedding seems intriguing to me.
Specific Bucket-List Places
In the “I want to visit” category:
- Catalina Island
- Ojai, California
- Monterey, California
- Oregon Coast
- Bryce Canyon and Moab, Utah
- Rapid City, South Dakota (for Mt. Rushmore, Badlands National Park, Minuteman Missile National Monument, and the Black Hills) Done May 2013!
- Painted Desert and Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Arizona
- Grand Canyon (driven by it on Interstate 40 four times without being able to visit)
Within the USA
- New York City Done April 2014!
- Chicago (more than one night)
- Miami & Key West, Florida
- Puerto Rico
- US Virgin Islands (include the British VI too)
Outside the USA
- London, England
- Sri Lanka
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Easter Island, Chile
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Mumbai, India
- Dharmasala, India
- Costa Rica
- New Zealand
- Barcelona, Spain
- Vienna, Austria
- Mount Athos, Greece (the requirements for entry make it strange enough)
- Zurich & Geneva, Switzerland
- Reims, France
- Montreal, Quebec Done April 2013!
- Toronto, Ontario
- Hong Kong